Oversleeping – Causes & Effects

I had struggled with the habit of oversleeping most of my life. Believe me, I know how embarrassing and frustrating it can be not to be able to control yourself, to be chronically late and to waste lots of precious time on sleep.

If you want to be able to wake up refreshed and on time, you must first understand WHY you oversleep…

What Causes Over – Sleeping

Sleep problems are usually caused by either physical or mental issues (or both).

This may sound harsh, but let me explain it in a very simple way…

From my understanding, oversleeping comes from a combination of two main factors that can be summed up as:

1. Poor sleep – meaning you’re not getting enough rest from your sleep. If you feel tired after 7-8 hours of sleep, there’s a good chance that what you need is not more sleep but BETTER sleep.

Your sleep may be damaged by a physical sleep disorder. (I myself also had to treat my Sleep Apnea as part of the process.)

Most likely, though, is that you don’t sleep well, because of bad habits, emotional issues or outside conditions – things like stress, poor nutrition, shift work or a noisy environment.

2. Depression or Lack of motivation – simply put, when the clock rings, you PREFER to stay in bed than face the day (whether you’ll admit it or not). Why?

Well, there are many possible reasons, but if I had to guess, I would say that you are either unhappy, unsatisfied or simply bored with life – you have no sense of purpose or inspiring goals.

These two factors work together to keep you in bed – the more tired you are, the more “mental power” you need in order to overcome the temptation to oversleep.

The ‘Side-Effects’ of Over-Sleeping

If anyone can tell you about the terrible effects of oversleeping, it’s me. First, oversleeping is obviously time waste. As a result of this time waste your whole life can get messed up…

It can damage your relationships, your career and what not. It makes you look lazy and irresponsible and can bring down your self esteem.

Oversleeping can be addictive, because a vicious cycle of causes and effects comes to play. For example:

Oversleeping -> failure and negative emotions -> oversleeping – >>

If that’s not enough to make you want to stop oversleeping, you should know that studies have found a connection between over-sleeping and diabetes, weight-gain, headaches and even heart disease.

Would you like to know the simplest and most effective methods I’ve been using to reduce sleep and raise my energy level? Click here »

PrintFriendlyEmailFacebookStumbleUponShare

Featured Resource:

Wake Up Fresh & Alert

Use this self hypnosis audio program to energise your body and jumpstart your day!

I've never tried it myself, but I do believe in the power of self hypnosis. If you tend to wake up feeling groggy and tired, I suggest that you give it a try...

Click here to check it out

53 Responses to “Oversleeping – Causes & Effects”

1. yasmin says:

just tell me how to solve my biggest problem of oversleeping.any home remedies or medicine.well…i m 16.please,please.

2. yasmin says:

I am 16 and I am very worried about oversleeping.I cant wake up in the morning, its really difficult. i feel sleepy then and now. i have to give my board exams.please help to wake.any home remedies or medicine?

3. Katie says:

Hello there. I come here for advice. I take Benadryl to sleep because if I don’t I could stay up for days. When I sleep I usually don’t fall asleep until 2-3am and don’t wake up until 3 in the afternoon. I realize I’m a growing teenager but sleeping that much doesn’t feel normal. Plus even after I wake up, I’m still tired. All throughout the day. I don’t do much of anything since I’m homeschooled and I haven’t gotten up at 6am I a very long time. I am constantly thirsty for water and nothing else satisfies my thirst except water. I don’t get headaches or anything but I have had a very mentally stressful life which I am no linger living. For these last few months I thought I was just mentally drained but it’s starting to worry me. Thanks!

• Rotem Cohen says:

Katie, you have to work on fixing your schedule. I’m only guessing that you are very inactive and don’t spend any time outdoors, (sitting all day in front of the TV and computer?). You need to get a lot of physical exercise and exposure to sunlight. It would improve your life in various ways. I should remind you that I’m not a doctor, but as far as I see, Benadryl is for allergies. I would consult a doctor (maybe get a “second opinion”) about that.

4. Diego Castro says:

One day I can’t get any sleep, 1-3 hours of REM at best, normally when I have class or an exam (I am constantly thinking while in bed) then the next day I oversleep, 8-11 hours of REM, and feel even worse than if I had no sleep. I exercise nearly everyday, take vitamins, drink 10-12 glasses of water and live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Is there anything I can do to regulate my sleeping?

• Rotem Cohen says:

Diego, it sounds like you’re suffering from the effects of ongoing stress and worry. You need to learn how to relax. Try soothing music, learn relaxation techniques (I teach a few in my course), write down your thoughts (to “get them out of your head”, try a relaxation audio, whatever works for you.

5. jenny says:

i am always upset,unmotivated, no job and sit around all day doing nothing. Including sleeping from 5 am to 3 pm and sometimes 4 pm.I don’t know what to do my life was not like this before. I use to get up at 7am and go to bed at 1am.

• Rotem Cohen says:

Well, Jenny, you need to either get a job or fill your time with interesting activities.

• Amanda says:

I want to say some thing for JUNNY , jUNNY , TELL YOUR SELF , that this is the only time you will have time to visit the places you never visit before , or doing camps with friends , or visiting the old friends and family , and tell your self that when you will have a job you will not be able to do so . start gardening , having cofee thinking in beutiful life and so on .

6. Cheyenne says:

I used to be more motivated. i work till 2am usually hit bed at 3 and wake up around 9:30-10am and get up and hit the gym. its been over a week now and im sleeping until 1pm and feeling tired and unmotivated the whole day.

• Rotem Cohen says:

Cheyenne, it could be that you just need a rest. Or – think of anything that’s different – your diet? your daily activities? your personal life? the weather? Any little thing or a combination of a few, may start a “cycle of tiredness and oversleeping”, as I explain in (this video).

7. Kamila says:

hey i really dont know whats wrong with me now :/ i had a flu for 4 days now, but the flu is kinda beginning to go away.So today i woke up feeling really weird.As the day went on i felt lightheaded as if im in some sort of a dream, and unresponsive to things
    and if i could i would probably just stare at a dot for an hour. (no im not on drugs.)
    do you know whats wrong with me?!

8. Suzie says:

I sleep at least 10-14 hours sleep at night time, and i still manage to sleep though out the day eg. watching a film, in the car. I have noticed if I dont keep busy or if someone wont talk to me I end up just sleeping.
    Im average weight for my height and age. And sometimes I can eat well and somedays i can barely eat.

please help me, its effecting my school work, social life

• Rotem Cohen says:

Suzie, it sounds to me that your activity level is very low. I suggest that you set yourself a goal to reduce your sleep to 9 hours max, and start an exercise routine, maybe walking 30-40 minutes a day. Also – eat breakfast everyday, whether you feel hungry or not. You need to create a healthy routine for yourself. It might take a couple of weeks or more to to develop the habits, but it will be worth it.

9. Emma-Louise says:

Hi I dont know if I have oversleeping problems but I am a very young girl and I am on weekends sleep for about 20 hours and still tired . I often fall asleep after school and after dinner then at bedtime :/ I dont know what to do.

Could you give me some advice please?

• Rotem Cohen says:

20 hours sleep isn’t normal nor healthy. You need to realize that you feel tired BECAUSE you sleep too much and not “in spite” of it.

Many questions come to mind, like: What do your parents say about this? Have you consulted a doctor? Do you eat well? Are you obese?

10. Kenny says:

I’ve been over sleeping 4-5 hours longer and I go to bed comfortable but wake up restless? It’s been like this for 4 days now. Help me please?

• Rotem Cohen says:

Kenny, from the little info you supplied, I would say that you just have to break the cycle, by doing whatever you can to wake up early and bring your schedule back to normal (while minimizing stimulants like caffeine, eating well etc). The sooner the better.